Thursday, November 19, 2015
The Canadian War Museum
The Canadian War Museum
November 11th is National Remembrance Day in Canada so what better place to visit for November's SketchCrawl than the Canadian War Museum?
The (CWM) (French: Musée canadien de la guerre) is Canada's national museum of military history.
The current CWM building opened in May 2005 and is located less than 2 km west of Canada's Parliament Buildings. The building's architecture has received professional and public acclaim.
Inside the museum, there is a vast art collection (numbering some 13,000 pieces) and extensive artifact collections arranged in eight permanent collections including four Canadian Experience galleries as well as the LeBreton gallery. There is plenty to sketch!
|Samples from the permanent and special collections|
- When: Thursday, November 19, 2015. We will meet in the main lobby at 4 pm and sketch until 8 pm; arrive when you can
- Admission Cost: FREE
- Show and Tell: 8:30 pm Location to be determined
- How to get there: The Museum accessible by bike or on foot. It is located right on the scenic Ottawa River Pathway; bicycle racks are available by the main entrance of the Museum. The CWM is also accessible by public transportation OC Transpo – Transitway – Lebreton Station – Routes: 8, 86, 87, 95, 96, 97
- Parking: There are 310 indoor parking spaces available. Rate: $2.50 per half hour Daily maximum rate: $12.50 Flat rate from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.: $6.00
- Register: A facebook event page has been created. Please indicate if you will be attending and invite your sketcher friends https://www.facebook.com/events/185634955111664/ Notifications will also be posted to http://ottawaurbansketchers.blogspot.ca/
- Museum Rules: "There is no specific rule to follow is you wish to come to the museum for drawing sketches. We only ask that please you do not obstruct the view of other visitors, and the use of tripods or drawing table is not allowed. Please advise us if this is a large group, but if it is for a small group or an individual, there is no problem."; Photography is permitted within the exhibition galleries.
- Official website: http://www.warmuseum.ca/home/
- Downloadable App: Thre is a free application is designed to enhance the Museum experience for both onsite and offsite users. http://www.warmuseum.ca/plan-your-visit/explore-the-museum/mobile-application/